Youth Development Corner
Rule IV Section 26(a) in the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10742, otherwise known as Sangguniang Kabataan Reform Act of 2015 states that, “There shall be in every province, city and municipality a Youth Development Office which shall be headed by a youth development officer with the rank of at least division chief. Such may be put under the Office of the LCE, the Office of the Planning and Development, the Office of the Social Welfare or in any other office deemed appropriate by the local government unit. If the funds of the local government unit are sufficient, it can be a separate department with divisions and units for policy and planning, administration and finance, and programs and operations. In the event that the local government unit has exceeded the prescribed personal services limitations, the LCE may designate existing personnel whom she/he deems fit to serve this purpose until such time that the local government unit can already create this office. The LCE shall create this office or designate the person within seven (7) months from the approval of the SK Reform Act.”
FUNCTIONS OF THE LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICE – THE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICE SHALL HAVE THE FOLLOWING FUNCTIONS:
(1) In accordance with Section 24 (d) of these rules, register and verify youth and youth-serving organizations (Subject to the revitalized Youth Organizations’ Registration Program (YORP) guidelines);
(2) Provide technical assistance to the LYDC of the concerned LGU in the formulation of the LYDP;
(3) Facilitate the election of the LYDC representatives;
(4) Serve as secretariat to the LYDC;
(5) Conduct the mandatory and continuing training of SK officials and LYDC members, in accordance with the programs jointly designed and implemented by the Commission and the DILG. The local youth development officer and/or his or her staff shall apply for accreditation from the Commission in order for them to conduct the mandatory and continuing training programs of SK officials and LYDC members. In the absence of a Youth Development Office in the province, city or municipality, the designated existing personnel by the LCE shall apply for accreditation with the Commission in order for said official to conduct the mandatory and continuing training programs of SK officials and LYDC members.
(6) Provide technical, logistical and other support in the conduct of the mandatory and continuing training programs, and to such other programs of the Commission and DILG;
(7) Coordinate with the Commission, with regard to the youth programs within their jurisdiction; and
(8) Perform such other functions as may be prescribed by law, ordinance, or as the LCE, the DILG or the Commission may require.
WHAT IS THE LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL?
According to Rule III Section 24 of Republic Act No. 10742, otherwise known as Sangguniang Kabataan Reform Act of 2015, to ensure wide and multi-sectoral youth participation in local governance, there shall be in every province, city and municipality an LYDC which shall be called, Provincial Youth Development Council (PYDC), City Youth Development Council (CYDC) and Municipal Youth Development Council (MYDC), respectively. The LYDC shall be headed by the concerned SK Pederasyon President and composed of representatives of youth and youth-serving organizations in the provincial, city, and municipal level. The LYDC shall assist the planning and execution of projects and programs of the SK, and the Pederasyons in all levels.
COMPOSITION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATION AND YOUTH SERVING ORGANIZATION
Youth Organization is an organization with members entirely composed of the youth, whose ages range from fifteen (15) to thirty (30) years old with a core advocacy that serves the youth. On the other hand, Youth Serving Organization is an organization with the same core advocacy but whose members are not entirely composed of the youth which may include civil society organizations (ie. peoples organizations and non-government organizations).
DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF THE LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL
The LYDC shall discharge the following duties and functions:
(1) Serve as the core of the advocacy on youth participation in nation-building and youth empowerment;
(2) Finalize the three (3) year LYDP that is anchored in the PYDP and the development plans of the local government units.
The LYDP shall be initially drafted by the respective SK Pederasyon and shall be finalized by the LYDC. This shall be submitted to the LCE for inclusion in the Local Development Plan and subsequently endorsed to the Sanggunian of the local government unit concerned for approval. These plans shall give priority to programs, projects and activities that will promote and ensure the meaningful youth participation in nation-building, sustainable youth development and empowerment, equitable access to quality education, environmental protection, climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction and resiliency, youth employment and livelihood, health and anti-drug abuse, gender sensitivity, social protection, capability building and sports development;
(3) Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Local Youth Development Plan; and
(4) Perform such other functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
SEAL OF GOOD LOCAL GOVERNANCE (SGLG)
INDICATORS FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
- LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL
- ESTABLISHED LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
- LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
- DATABASE OF REGISTERED YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS (YOUTH ORGANIZATION REGISTRATION PROGRAM)
- UTILIZATION RATE OF AT LEAST 50% OF BUDGET APPROPRIATED FOR LYDO FUNCTIONS AND OPERATIONS
- PROVISION BY LYDO OF TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (TA) IN THE CONDUCT OF TRAINING FOR SANGGUNIANG KABATAAN (SK) AND LYDC MEMBERS
- LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
- PRESENCE OF A LOCAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT PLAN (LYDP)
- PROVISION OF LGU SUPPORT FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
- POLICY ON YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT FACILITIES
- PROGRAM FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT